Sunday, June 12, 2011

It's almost here!

Hey everybody!   So the past 10 days has flown by and I have so many stories to share but only a few will suffice for now.   It has been amazing to be a part of people that has grown together so quickly and so strongly.   I've heard it said multiple times from others and also feel the same in the fact that even though we have only all known each other for a week or so now that it is like we have all been friends for years.  To sit back and watch the brother and sisterhood develop has been awesome.  And then to see the respect and love between both groups has been such a great experience.  So now to 2 stories that have touched me and have been on my heart as of late.

About 2 days into everyone being here some of us had noticed that our fellow counselor Ronnell "Big
Ron" had been wearing socks literally everywhere.  He even wore them in the pool!  Well that night someone did some digging and found out that Ron had been pranked in his sleep and his toenails had been painted.   He was too embarressed to take off his socks in front of these new people with painted toe nails.   So a bunch of the guys(myself included) decided that we should also paint our toenails so Ron wouldn't need be afraid.  After we got them done we showed Ron and you could tell he just had a huge weight lifted off his shoulders.  

Last Saturday we had the wonderful opportunity of going into Macon(the closest city, from what I have seen it is the same basic size as Eugene) because there was a wedding being held on the camp grounds and we figured that they didn't want a bunch of college aged kids around.  So we go into town, get some food, and then the directors decided to give everyone on staff 10 bucks to buy whatever sort of costume we could put together in Goodwill.  It was a ton of fun to see everyone's creativity and we got some awesome looks from the locals.   Anyways the best part of the day was going to our Waterfront Director's house which is on a lake.   She has a dock and a boathouse right out back where we could jump into the water and have some fun.  Well I discovered quickly that the water was just deep enough that you could jump off the boathouse in and be completely safe.   So I went a few times and then more of the counselors started coming up and doing the same.   Then Megan came up.  Megan is the youngest on staff out here and I kind of see her as a little sister.   She was terrified of the jump and quickly got down.   After some convincing I got her to go back up and sit at the edge.  After about 15 minutes of chatting and encouragment from everyone else she jumped!   It is such a small thing in the scope of things but for her and me it was a huge step and I was so stoked for her.

Also that day at the lake was my first encounter with a snake in Georgia.  I was chatting with some people and I look over at the other side of the group and I see one of the girl counselors(Libby) staring at the ground right behind my feet.  I turn just in time to see a 3 to 4 foot black snake passing by my foot.  Needless to say I got a little freaked out and did the heeby jeeby dance a few times.   As I later found out the snake wasn't poisonous and basically wouldn't of done anything anyway, still really freaky.  

Well training came to a close on Friday night with the only way I can ever see a camp ending.  A Campfire.  As I stared into the flames everybody shared their testimonies.  This took a very long time, but was so worth it.  To sit there and hear countless stories of heartache, anger, abandonment, and then to hear that God has chosen that person to come to camp and serve is amazing.   We all have such different stories but in every story there is one thing we share.  The Cross.  His love poured out onto Calvary for our sin.  So blessed. 

Training is over, but the war is just beginning.  I can't sugar coat it, I don't want to.  We are soldiers in this battle, the person to my right and left our on the frontlines with me.  We are a mighty force.  Our weapon is His love story and our battle cry of prayer echoes across this camp.   We bring aid to the tired and weary masses whose bodies cry out for the Living word. Our leader is a wrathful, vengeful God who will fight to the end to win more to His cause so that He may pour out more of his mercy and love upon us.     

No comments:

Post a Comment